Sunday, February 27, 2011

Weekend With Bunky

I have had the pleasure of spending time this past weekend with Bunky Echo-Hawk.  He is so creative and most impressive he is comfortable in his own skin.  He was easy to talk to and was kind to everyone and every question.  Even to those questions that made me uncomfortable.  Like what does that color mean to natives? And why did you paint that symbol?  He has a grace and a humor that comes through on the canvas.  I was fortunate enough to have been there when he pulled out his lap top and flipped through a bunch of his past projects and his collection was impressive. It ranged from Barack Obama to Sherman Alexis. 
At the show we were given a blank canvas and asked questions to make each painting unique.  He asked me who was the most famous Indian spiritual leaded I knew.  Elmer Running came to mind as fast as a lightning bolt.  I realized he had no idea who Elmer was and I told him briefly he was a respected sundance chief and elder.  His picture of Elmer was done from a place of respect and honor.  The next day I took a picture that I had of Elmer to show him.  It was very erie how similar they were.   The picture on the right is of Elmer.  Yoda below is a self portrait.  Thanks Bunky for everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment